PD Quick Tip - Heavy, sleepy eyelids

Suddenly my eyelids feel so heavy, and at the worst times. It's happened when I am just talking with someone-my eyes are closing, eyelids so heavy, I struggle to keep my eyes open. The person I was talking to thinks I'm bored and am really rude.  Was I hypnotized? It's probably the autonomic nervous system taking a break.

Blinking is usually a natural reflex. Parkinson's Disease can cause a person to stare and the autonomic nervous system forgets it's time to blink.   

I started doing an eye exercise to strengthen my eyes and remind my brain to blink. I'm not sure if my ophthalmologist would endorse this technique, but here it is. 

The exercise is 8 steps. I basically look in each direction, hold it for a second and blink. Look in the next direction and repeat.

  • Look up and left, blink
  • Look up, blink
  • Look up and right, blink
  • Look right, blink
  • Look down and right, blink
  • Look down, blink
  • Look down and left, blink
  • Look left, blink

I repeat this for a minute. Afterwards my eyes feel open and awake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment