PD Fatigue, Apathy and Covid

The Covid plague had a lot of invisible effects on people. Two of the Parkinson’s symptoms that ht me very hard are fatigue and apathy.  If you haven't experienced this combo, it's not easy to imagine having good "on time" when meds are working pretty good and having to decide what you will do during this "on time" window that may close at any moment or stay open for a couple of hours. 

I have a list in my head and on paper of things to do when meds are working. In no particular order: Take a shower, cut my nails, pay bills, vacuum, pick up medication, buy some groceries, reply to email, call a friend or relative, shave, do dishes. While I sit frozen in my body, I also think of huge projects, getting physical therapy, replacing appliances, home and auto repairs and moving to more affordable home. Oh I left out one ingredient. Anxiety. Add anxiety to apathy and fatigue. It's not good. And it is horrible for a spouse / partner / care giver who frequently gets ignored and zero support.

During Covid some people learned, built, discovered. During Covid my PD symptoms grew and my routine was suspended.  Daily walks, yoga, exercise, movement classes and being a volunteer at New York Cares where I helped elderly learn to navigate their computers and the internet stopped. It is very hard for someone with a chronic progressive illness like PD switching gears "just" start new routines.

So I have a new prescription for physical therapy and started going to a movement class. That's 2 things. I'm slowly adding to my weekly goals but it's always a battle with fatigue and apathy.

I'm not sure how many read through this blog but if I can help even one person, it's totally worth it. Post Covid is hard. Writing this blog post this morning was my choice of things to do when my meds are working, "on time" 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment