DBS? Scared out of my mind

 I'm almost 10 years since my diagnosis with Parkinson's Disease.  At first Sinemet was the magic fix. One tablet 25/100 brought me back. Then mixing, matching, optimizing meds for the next 10+ years, like playing a carnival game. Where's the neuron. Transmitter or Receptor? Guess the med, win a prize.

Failed doses and off times are my norm. My "on times" are rare and brief. Stiffness, slowness, freezing all the time. Quality of life sucks. This illness and I destroyed my spouse, which hurts me most.

DBS. Deep Brain Stimulation.   Is this the final solution? Freakin' drill holes in my skull and poke some leads into my brain. Twice. Then a third surgery for batteries. Flip switch and, who knows. Surgeries every few years for new batteries. Praying to die instead of this modern twist on a medieval technique. Sure it's been fine tuned with super high resolution cameras and imaging but it's still probing around and see how the patient responds. It's brain surgery, folks.  Does DBS even help stiffness and slowness or just the shaking?  And what about personality changes.  Before PD ravaged me, I had a pretty good personality, liked by many (I would like to think) and very quick with humor.  I'm taking a ton of pills now, will that change? Less or more?  What is long term expectations with DBS. It doesn't stop PD progression, will it slow down?  

I'm the first to admit that I live in a fantasy world. Where is the nano virus that destroys what is killing my dopamine transmitters and receptors, fix everyone affected by PD. Where are the stem cells that regrow damaged and destroyed areas of the brain, and gut. Something. We have such high tech, the Parkinson's meds all revolved around Sinemet in one form or another.  

It's almost high noon, time for a radical breakthrough solution or face the reaper. I'm just about out of time. Science I believe in you! Don't disappoint. You must think outside the box. 

So scared. Wolves are circling.  Save me. Not much time left. 

I NEED A MIRACLE! Save my loving spouse. Please.



2 comments:

  1. Ughhhh! My dear dear friend, wish I had a magic wand. All I can offer is love from a distance and fervant prayers, a solution soon comes. This absolutely sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughhh!! My dear dear friend! I wish I had a magic wand! You deserve a solution!! All I can offer is love from a distance. Prayers something will resolve sooner than later. I am glad you are sharing your story/journey as painful as it may be. This sucks!

    ReplyDelete