PD Apathy is very real

I brought up Parkinson's Apathy to a group last week and was surprised I received a lot more response than I expected. Just knowing 5 or 10 other people also struggle with PD apathy is reassuring and helps me to not feel so alone with my long list of symptoms.

PD apathy is very real. I struggle to accomplish even the smallest tasks and I beat myself up because I have a ton of things that need to get done, all with a high priority. But I freeze up mentally when I think about it. The list grows and months go by on the calendar.

In an ideal world there would be a person who can help someone who's cognitively challenged to do things. Like a "task rabbit" but they are also trained in psychiatry or psychology. Someone who understands we're not being lazy. The neurons just don't connect to accomplish the things we need to do.

I try making lists, then lists of lists and it's not helping.

By the way, I'm calling this apathy but the inability to accomplish things might be another issue. The days pile up, turn into months and years.

How do you deal with the apathy–feeling of being stuck in quicksand, surrounded by a brick wall?

A few suggestions from the group were: 

  • Reduce clutter, make neat piles
  • Set realistic goals
  • Break tasks down into smaller tasks
    • ie: Clean Kitchen becomes wash dishes, put dishes away, mop floor, clean cabinets. 
  • Remember to take time off! If you're having a bad day, unplug and relax. Don't struggle to accomplish something every day.

I know, It could always be worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment