PD Open Message on Facebook

I've been going back and forth whether I wanted to 'go public' with the news of having Parkinson's.  This week, after a lot of thought, I did it. And received so much positive support from Facebook friends. No regrets.   

Here is what I posted to my Facebook timeline.

I'm guilty of posting a vague reference to my health.  Not sure why but for a long time I've avoided telling many people that I was diagnosed with an illness.  I still don't feel comfortable talking about it, mostly because it has gotten negative responses or reactions from the few friends I've told. It seems every time I open up and tell a friend, it's the last time I'll hear from them.  A few wrote to me that people don't want reality contaminating their Facebook fantasy world so I've been hyper-selective about what audience I expose to my postings that don't eude toxic positivity. 

Since I broke character yesterday and posted a vague message seeking a time machine to get a cure, I decided to be authentic and share the news here.  Twelve years ago I was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease. I am not seeking emoticons of support, just letting friends know what's up. Parkinson's Disease has a very long list of symptoms, it's like the menu in a Chinese restaurant when talking about symptoms. One person suffers from B1, B3 and G4 the next person suffers from B3, C1 E22 and p5. And do you want shakes with that? No two people have the same path. If you want to read more, I'll add a blog link in the comments.  I know it is hard to understand that one illness can take so many directions but for now it's all called Parkinson's, maybe it will have sub classifications in the future, who knows. Hopefully this message doesn't make you too uncomfortable. 

One thing to remember, the illness is both chronic and progressive with no cure.

So here it is, now on Facebook. You can click an emoticon, post a GIF or send thoughts and prayers, it's all good. Phone calls or email are welcomed.   I don't like Facebook messenger and try to avoid text messaging when possible.

TGIF and have a great weekend.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment